Advancing 8K Shooting and Recording Technology
8K slow motion system and 8K camcorder
We are researching 8K shooting and recording technology with an eye to diverse program production in 8K. We here present an 8K slow-motion system that can shoot and record 8K video at 4x-speed※1 or 240 frames per second (fps) and an 8K camcorder※2 that can record 8K video on SD memory cards.
- 8K high-speed camera
- We developed a 33 megapixel image sensor capable of high-speed operation and constructed a prototype 8K high-speed camera supporting shooting at 240 fps, which is four times the frame rate in 8K test satellite broadcasting. This camera enables the shooting of fast-paced action such as that in sports in 8K ultrahigh-definition video.
- 8K high-speed recorder for slow-motion playback
- We developed a high-speed video encoder and memory package and constructed a prototype 8K high-speed recorder for slow-motion playback capable of real-time encoding of 240 fps 8K video and smooth slow-motion playback at variable speeds.
- Prototype 8K camcorder
- We constructed a prototype camcorder that can shoot and record 8K video (60 fps) on commercially available SD memory cards. This camcorder can record more than one hour of continuous 8K video on four SD memory cards.
We plan to conduct further research on the 8K slow-motion system, aiming at even higher speeds and enhanced operability, and on the 8K camcorder to obtain a more compact configuration and better picture quality.
- ※1 4x-speed: Video shot at 60 fps (frame frequency: 60 Hz) is taken to be 1x-speed.
- ※2 Camcorder: A camera with built-in recording equipment.