< Top < Recipes < Niku-jaga with Douban-jiang (Simmered Beef & Potatoes)
Jun. 30, Mon. 2014
Rika's TOKYO CUISINE
Niku-jaga with Douban-jiang (Simmered Beef & Potatoes)
Niku-jaga toubanjan fumi
- Ingredients (Serves 4)
4 potatoes (500 g in total)
200 g beef (any cut), thinly sliced
400 ml water
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp mirin
1 tsp douban-jiang (Sichuan chili bean paste)
blanched snow peas, for garnish (optional)
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into two-bite-sized pieces.
2. Peel the onion and cut in half vertically. Cut each half into 1 cm-thick slices along the fibers of the onion.
3. Put the potatoes and onion in a pot, then add water and heat. Place the beef on top.
4. Mix in the sugar, soy sauce, mirin, and douban-jiang, then cover. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 min.
5. When the potatoes have fully cooked through, remove from heat.
6. Garnish with blanched snow peas as a garnish then serve.