Automatic Generation of Sign Language CG Animation for Sports Programs
To enable the hearing impaired to enjoy TV programs
We are researching technology for the automatic generation of sign language CG animation to make sports programs more enjoyable for hearing impaired. Here, we exhibit a sign language CG application for sports programs that helps hearing impaired people understand broadcast sports events.
- Automatic generation of sign language CG for explaining what is taking place during sports events
- aDuring the Olympic and Paralympic games, data related to an event are distributed. Our system analyzes the data and automatically makes up sign language
CG in real time. A digest of the progress of the event is also generated.
Sign language CG for describing sports can be easily watched at any time on tablet devices or smartphones.
- Viewers can also refer to information such as the explanation of rules in sign language CG animation by simple operations
- aWhen terms related to rules are extracted from the event data, a sign language explanation of the rules can be checked with a simple operation of the terminal device.
- Viewers can notice important sounds during the event by vibration of the device
- aThe sounds of whistles and buzzers are important for understanding what is happening in the event, so a function for indicating these sounds by vibration of the terminal device helps viewers understand the content of sports programs.
We will continue investigating effective presentation methods to let hearing impaired people enjoy sports better for use in Olympic and Paralympic TV programs and other sports TV programs.
- Part of this research is jointly being conducted with Kogakuin University.