Digital Broadcasting and Fusion of Broadcast and Broadband
We are conducting research into a TV user interface called UTAN※ that makes TV viewing easier and more convenient. UTAN provides viewers with a large variety of content by inferring the current viewing status as to who is watching what kind of program and presenting information that fits the situation.
- Recognition of who is watching TV, information presented on tablet terminal
- To present easy-to-understand information, UTAN uses face-recognition technology to determine whether the whole family is watching TV or whether a child is watching alone. It changes the information presented on the terminal to suit viewer preferences, etc.
- Provision of program-related information, prompted by whether or not viewers are watching with interest
- This is a convenient service that easily enables viewers to acquire information relating to scenes of interest, either while viewing a program or afterwards. UTAN identifies program scenes that are thought to be of interest by detecting the viewer's movements and changes in facial expression. Then it provides related information.
In the works
We are continuing research on a TV user interface that can infer who is viewing a program and their situation in order to adapt the behavior and display of the terminal, to ensure that the TV can be used more easily and conveniently.
- ※UTAN：User Technology Assisted Navigation
UTAN user interface