< Top < Ten Don [Tempura Rice Bowl]
Jan. 18, Fri. 2019
Rika's TOKYO CUISINE
Ten Don [Tempura Rice Bowl]
- Ingredients (Serves 2)
80 g squid
4 shiitake mushrooms
1 ear of corn
For the batter:
200 ml tempura flour
160 ml cold sparkling water
oil for deep-frying
For the sauce:
200 ml water
1 piece of kombu kelp, about 10 cm square
100 ml dried bonito flakes
40 ml soy sauce
40 ml mirin
1 tsp sugar
360 ml short-grain rice
400 ml water
1. Rinse the rice and let rest in the water for 30 min, then cook.
2. Peel the shrimp, leaving only the tails on, then devein. Make a number of small cuts across their undersides, to prevent them from curling up when they are fried.
3. Cut the eggplants in half along their length. Cut each into 2 mm slices along its length, leaving the stem end intact to keep the slices attached.
4. Stand the ear of corn upright on its stem end, and insert your knife to shave off the kernels.
5. Cut the squid into easy-to-eat pieces, and wipe off any moisture from its surface.
6. Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms, and make X-shaped cuts into the caps.
7. In a bowl, combine the tempura flour and the sparkling water, and mix together to make the batter.
8. Dip the ingredients into the batter just before deep-frying, then deep-fry at 170°C.
9. Make the sauce: In a pot, combine the water and kombu kelp, and heat. Bring just to a simmer, then add the bonito flakes, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar.
10. Place the tempura on top of bowls of rice, and serve.