< Top < Recipes < Tempura with Spring Shoots
Apr. 15, Fri. 2016
Rika’s TOKYO CUISINE
Tempura with Spring Shoots
Sansai no Tempura
- Ingredients (Serves 2)
5 fukinoto butterbur shoots
5 taranome shoots
5 kogomi fiddlehead ferns
other spring shoots
200 ml pre-mixed tempura flour
200 ml carbonated water, chilled
1. Cut off the brown parts at the bottoms of the fukinoto butterbur shoots, then spread the leaves out to look like flowers.
2. Peel the brown parts of the taranome shoots with a kitchen knife.
3. Use a paper towel to rub off the rough surface of the kogomi fiddlehead ferns' stalks, then cut them into easy-to-eat pieces.
4. If using koshiabura, you can use it whole. If using urui hosta shoots, wash them and then thoroughly drain them dry.
5. Put the tempura flour in a bowl, then add the chilled carbonated water and mix in thoroughly.
6. Coat the various spring shoots with tempura batter and deep fry at 180°C. When frying the fukinoto butterbur shoots, make sure to fry them with the flower side down.
7. Drain off the oil and serve the tempura with salt and sudachi citrus.