< Top < Recipes < Japanese Curried Rice with Chicken
Sep. 8, Mon. 2014
Rika's TOKYO CUISINE
Japanese Curried Rice with Chicken
Chikin kare raisu
- Ingredients (Serves 6)
250 g chicken thigh
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cardamom
300 ml water
600 ml water
80 g instant curry roux
1/2 to 1 tbsp doubang-jiang
1200 g cooked rice
1. Peel the vegetables, then cut the onion into six wedges, cut the potatoes into quarters, then cut the carrots into pieces roughly the size of the cut potato pieces.
2. Cut the chicken into pieces roughly the same size as the vegetables.
3. Add olive oil to a pressure cooker pot, and sauté the garam masala, chili powder, cumin, and cardamom over low heat. Remove from heat when it becomes fragrant, then add the cut ingredients and mix until coated with the spices.
4. Add 300 ml of water, then put the pressure cooker's lid on and heat on high. When steam begins to come out and high-pressure cooking starts, reduce heat to low and cook for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and wait until pressure returns to normal.
5. Remove the lid and make sure that the vegetables have all cooked through, then add an additional 600 ml of water and heat until boiling. Skim the scum after it comes to a boil.
6. Remove from heat, then mix in the curry roux until fully dissolved. Add doubang-jiang gradually, checking to make sure that the spice level is where you want it.
7. Serve on a plate with a raised rim, with freshly cooked rice on the left side and the curry poured over onto the right side.